Like a lot of people, I have a 40+ hour a week job, which means I often come home late or do not have the time to make an elaborate dinner every night. Not being one to sacrifice taste for convenience, I really dislike frozen meals or ready-made soups that often leave me feeling a little bit disheartened after eating them. My latest go-to quick meal has been a grilled sandwich and side salad.
- Heat a medium-sized fry pan over medium heat on the stove. Add 1 tablespoon of butter. When butter melts, add in chopped onions.
- Stir onions every once in a while until they turn brown (about 10-15 minutes). Remove onions from the pan.
- Swipe one side of each slice of bread with mustard. Then build your sandwich, adding the turkey, caramelized onions, apples, and then cheese to your sandwich.
- Place fry pan on the stove, and begin heating the pan on medium heat.
- Coat one of the outer sides of bread with butter. Place the sandwich buttered-side down on the pan.
- Now, you need to apply pressure to the sandwich in order to get a golden brown and crispy exterior. I often place a plate on top of my sandwich to add pressure, as seen in the picture.
- When the bottom of the sandwich is brown and crispy (about 5 minutes), add butter to the top piece of bread, then flip the sandwich.
- Continue cooking until the other side of the sandwich is golden and crispy (about 5 minutes).