I am not a pumpkin pie fan. I don’t drink pumpkin spice lattes. My family would make a pumpkin pie each Thanksgiving, but it was typically an afterthought. Compared to the apple pie my family spent laboring over, the pumpkin pie never stood a chance.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Lightly mist a 9X13” baking dish with vegetable oil spray.
- Place all ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Using an electric handheld mixer, mix on low for 1 minute.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula. Increase spread on mixer to medium, and mix batter for two minutes.
- When the batter looks thick and well-blended, pour the batter into the prepared pan. Smooth the batter with a rubber spatula as necessary.
- Bake for 32-26 minutes, or until a toothpick entered into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool for at least 20 minutes on a wire rack. When it is completely cool, frost with the buttercream frosting recipe below!
- Place butter in a bowl. Using a hand held mixer, mix on medium until butter is light and fluffy.
- Sift the 3 cups of confectioners sugar, and then add it to the butter.
- Add vanilla and one tablespoon of milk to the bowl.
- Mix on medium until combined. If the frosting is too thick, add more milk. If the frosting is too runny, add more sugar.